In this climate, it’s easy to lose faith in humanity. Loved ones have been lost, home have been destroyed and many live in fear thinking they could suffer the same fate. While this challenge won’t save the world, but one tiny gesture could mean the world to someone else. One little gesture can show that strength, kindness and love still exist. Which brings me to the theme of this post – being kind to others.
Kindness is contagious.
Never underestimate the impact of a single act of kindness. I still remember, after many years, the time someone stopped and helped me after my tire went flat. Since then, I have stopped on the road myself and helped stranded motorists a number of times. All because of that single act of kindness by a stranger.
Also, it is important to carry out your acts of kindness without expecting anything in return.
So where do you begin?
For this Challenge, I have listed 30 ideas to get you started. You don’t have to use them, but it gets the brain thinking.
- Buy the person behind you at the drive thru a cup of coffee.
- Compliment a stranger.
- Send someone a hand written note of thanks.
- Make a card at home and send it to a friend for no reason.
- Let people know you appreciate them.
- Buy a lottery ticket for a stranger.
- Put some coins in someone else’s parking meter.
- Cut your neighbor’s lawn.
- Donate old clothes to charity.
- Give a compliment about your waiter / waitress to his / her manager.
- Send someone a small gift anonymously.
- Stop and help someone replace their flat tire.
- Let someone ahead of you in line at the grocery store.
- Pay for the drinks on the next table.
- Treat a friend to the movies for no reason.
- Give a huge tip to someone when they least expect it.
- Hold the train door open for someone rushing to get in.
- Give up your seat for someone, not just an elderly person.
- Write notes of appreciation at least once a week.
- Talk to a homeless person and have a “normal” conversation.
- Pick up some rubbish in the road which would otherwise be lying around.
- Compliment a work colleague for their excellence.
- Recommend a competitor to a potential client.
- Give another driver your parking spot.
- Give a piece of fruit to a delivery person.
- Help an elderly neighbor carry the trash out.
- Tell all your family members how much you love and appreciate them.
- Leave a copy of an interesting book on a train / bus.
- Buy an inspirational book for a friend and write a handwritten note of why you appreciate them inside.
- Smile every day.
What goes around is sure to come around – happy helping 🙂
Apply these (and your own ideas) and do your part to spread kindness in the world!