Drink more water. It’s the easiest and most natural thing to do. But for many, drinking water is a chore. We can all benefit from drinking more water. Aside from improving energy, digestion, our skin, and our general health, drinking more water can help us lose weight. Drink extra water and maybe you’ll drink less soda or fruit juice. You might feel full from the H2O, making you less hungry.
This challenge is great for beginners looking to make habit modifications because it does not require a lifestyle change or ask you to give anything up, spend money, or commit more than a few minutes of your time throughout the day. It does, however, force you to do that one small thing every day, throughout the day: Drink water.
The title of this challenge says to drink 8 to 10 glasses (64 to 80 fluid ounces) per day, but the fact is, how much water you should drink depends on a lot of factors, such as your age, body size, activity level, environment, diet, and general health. Do you live in a hot environment? Do you work outside or sit at an office? How vigorously do you exercise? The “8 glasses of water” recommendation is merely a starting point. Decide what your daily goal will be (I aim for 80 fluid ounces, or about 10 glasses), and adjust as necessary.
*Use existing habits as a trigger for drinking water. For example, drink a glass of water:
- After you brush your teeth
- As soon as you wake up in the morning (and keep a full glass on your nightstand)
- Before you sit down for a meal
- Before you go to bed
*Keep a water bottle with you at all times. If you have a 16-ounce bottle, commit to refilling it four to five times throughout the day.
*Don’t force yourself to chug water; drink until you’re satisfied.
*Download an app to track your water intake. You can also set reminders on your phone.
*If you’re into gadgets, invest in a high-tech water bottle, which has a sensor inside to keep track of how much water you drink. The bottle also syncs to an app on a smartphone via Bluetooth.
*Infuse your water with flavor, like cucumber, lemons, berries, citrus, and mint.
*Enjoy mineral or sparkling water—it counts!
*Keep track of how you feel now that your water intake has increased. Are you sleeping better? Has your skin improved? Do you feel more focused or energetic? How is your digestion?
*Don’t go overboard—over-hydration can have some serious health consequences.
RECOMMENDED APPS AND PRODUCTS
*Water Drink Reminder (app)
- WHO, WHAT, WHERE, WHEN, HOW OFTEN – list the details of the challenge on the Accountability Tracker.
2. DOCUMENT IT ON THE CHALLENGE CALENDAR:
3. THE REWARD – don’t forget to document your reward on the accountability tracker! How will you reward yourself? Do you respond better to milestone rewards or are you holding out for the big daddy upon completion? What will it be? What motivates you?
4. KEEP TRUDGING FORWARD – don’t give up. If you fall off the wagon, keep moving forward! Ask for help. That’s what family and friends are for!
5. REFLECTION – reflect on the challenge – what went well, and what could be better. Learn from this and use this to improve on yourself and your future challenges!
What’s your Challenge? Get started today!